Yesterday I spent some time writing a Python token request script against the Force.com APIs. Today I thought I’d share a short code snippet for doing the same thing but this time using Lua.

Why Lua? Why not!

No, I have a good reason for getting this to work in Lua. I’m a big fan of Webscript.io which provides a tremendously simple way to create web APIs. Webscripts are all written in Lua.

The first step to using webscripts against the Force.com APIs is to make a token request. So, let’s do it.

Before you give this a try be sure to read my previous post on making a Force.com token request and review the section where I discuss the secret key. You will need this in order to authenticate against the Force.com API.

Without further ado, here’s the code.

Lua is such a cute language, isn’t it?

Okay, so where should you run this? Why don’t you give Webscript.io a try.

You can use the code I wrote above without any modifications (of course, you need to plug in your own values). You might also want to add the following line at the end to log the access_token.

log(tokenResponse.access_token)

To execute your webscript simply browse to the generated endpoint. After it (quickly) executes, simply review the latest Request Log. You should see a log similar to the following:

Webscript log

That’s it!

You can see the the image above that we get three things from Webscript.io:

  1. A detailed log of the HTTP request the webscript made.
  2. A detailed log of the HTTP response the webscript received.
  3. The access_token output.

Fantastic!

I love how easy it is to try things out with webscripts. Once you give it a try I’m sure you will too.